Camp Mentor Program:
This is a leadership program aimed at participants aged 18+ who, after experiencing life as a camper, would like to take on more responsibility at Cahoots. The Camp Mentor Program will be commencing at the Swan Valley Adventure Camp in April 2018. During the camp, mentors will provide support and guidance to our All Abilities participants who will be transitioning to the 18+ Camps this coming year, as well as sharing their own experiences from their time as a camper.
Once our young campers arrive to camp, mentors will leap into action alongside the rest of the team. Duties include assisting team leaders with their daily routines, supporting staff with activities, helping with campers and learning about the inner workings of day-to-day life at camp.
Camp Mentors can look forward to gaining first-hand experience leading and assisting younger campers in activity sessions as well as invaluable work experience in a professional environment. As with all our campers and staff alike, we are committed to developing leadership skills as well as teaching new hard and soft skills.
Why a mentor program?
The program has been developed due to the growing demand of our 18+ campers expressing their interest to become Camp Leaders. Many of our All Abilities campers feel overwhelmed with the thought of transitioning to the 18+ camps. Turning 18, leaving school, the fear of the unknown, reaching a new milestone in their life and the thought of change can cause stress for a young person.
The mentor program is designed to promote confidence in young participants and provide leadership roles for young campers within Cahoots.
How to apply?
To be a Camp Mentor requires the same qualities expected of Camp Leaders; energy, maturity and flexibility, team players with a positive attitude toward both staff and campers. To be considered for a position of Camp Mentor, please provide an Expression of Interest Form outlining why you are interested in the program and what contribution you expect to make to the team.
If you need some help or any questions regarding the form please don’t hesitate to email our Camp Coordinator; Toni
What does it cost?
Cahoots will be responsible for covering the costs of camp for the Camp Mentor (accommodation, food, transport and activities) So participants selected for the Camp Mentor program will be invited to participate in a camp for FREE as part of the Mentor program.
What do our Mentors get out of the program?
Camp Mentors can look forward to gaining first-hand experience leading and assisting younger campers in activity sessions as well as invaluable work experience in a professional environment. As with all our campers and staff alike, we are committed to developing leadership skills as well as teaching new hard and soft skills. Mentors have the opportunity to share their experiences from their time as a camper.
Benefits of the program?
- Team Work: Teamwork will be the essence of camp, working together on any number of tasks to support and motivate each other.
- Independence: Being away from the family means you will be more independent. At Cahoots, we cultivate and encourage independent thinking. For most Camp Mentors, the change is visible and they leave camp with a renewed sense of independence.
- Responsibility: Along with independence comes a sense of responsibility. Being away from your parent/guardians is already an enormous responsibility, however, at camp you will be given a great deal more; this sets the basis for a more mature, self-reliant outlook, which can be transferred to life at home.
- Character Building: No challenge is too big or too small and success at all levels is something to celebrate. Camp Mentors will discover new skills and talents, overcome fears and anxieties helping them to become well-rounded individuals.
- Confidence: Camp is the perfect environment to discover both strengths and weaknesses and to build on all of these whilst learning from peers.
- Fun & Lifelong memories: Camp is a whole load of fun! From making new friends to the new experiences they have, our mission at Cahoots is to make sure all Camp Mentors have an unforgettable camp, creating friendships and memories that will last a lifetime.
- Positive Role-Models: Cahoots Camp Mentors provide positive role models. Chosen for their well-balanced personalities, boundless experience and positive attitudes. They are the stars on camp.